This soup has the comforting quality all soups should have, it is flavorful but subtle at the same time. I chose to make this soup with no eggs or gluten-free bread crumbs as many meatballs are made. However, you can add these things which will help your meatballs be more tender. You can purchase butternut squash already chopped. They are usually more expensive but if you don’t have plans for an entire butternut squash, it might be worth it to avoid waste.
If you are cooking for yourself, this is a great soup to make and have leftovers. Invest in soup mugs with lids to store, making transport and reheating easier.
Mexican Meatball Soup with Butternut Squash and Spinach
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- 1 Egg Optional
- 1/4 cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs or Cracker Crumbs Optional
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef (85%/15%)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (or about 1/2 a large onion)
- 2 cups Butternut Squash (chopped into Cubes)
- 2 Carrots
- 1 cup Spinach leaves
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Lime
- 8 oz Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Water
- Finely chop the cilantro and set aside.
- Combine ground beef with 1/2 the chopped cilantro, coriander, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Mix into the beef being careful not to over-mix. If you choose to add and egg and/or GF bread crumbs, do so now. Form into 2 inch balls and set aside.
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add 1 TBSP olive oil. Warm until hot but not smoking. Add meatballs and cook 5-8 minutes turning occasionally to brown on the outside but not quite cooked through. Be careful not to tear the meatballs as they might stick a bit on the bottom. Remove meatballs to a plate and set aside. Do not wipe out the pot.
- While the meatballs cook, prepare the vegetables. Finely chop the onion and set aside.
- Peel and dice the squash into 1 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Slice the carrots into bite size pieces.
- Finely chop the spinach and tomato and set aside.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
- In the same pot used for cooking the meatballs, add 1 TBSP oil. Heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion, squash and carrots and salt and pepper to taste. Stirring frequently, cook until almost tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Add spinach, tomato and remaining cilantro. Stirring frequently, cook until tomato is reduced and spinach and cilantro are wilted.
- Add chicken broth and water. Juice 1/4 of lime and add to soup. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges.