Packed with greens, I had to call this pasta with pesto “Super”. Not only is the pesto full of leafy green basil, but the pasta has spinach and spiralized zucchini tossed in it for a much lower carb pasta dish with a powerful nutritional profile!
Super Pasta with Basil & Pine Nut Pesto
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 cup Fresh Basil Leaves packed
- Himalayan Pink Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 3/4 cup Brown Rice Penne Pasta uncooked
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1 Zuchini
- Juice 1/2 the lemon. Slice the other have for garnish and set aside.
- Add 2 tsp of lemon juice to a mini chopper or food processor.
- Add olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, basil leaves and Parmesan cheese to the mini chopper or food processor and blend until slightly chunky (or smooth if you prefer).
- Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook 12-14 minutes.
- While the pasta cooks, spiralize the zucchini and chop into bite sized spirals (they can get really long).
- Slice the spinach into thin strips about the same length as a piece of pasta or shorter. Picky Eater Tip! The flavor of spinach is so mild, if you cut it small enough it is not really noticed by a picky eater.
- In a medium Serving bowl, add the spinach and spiralized zucchini and gently fold them together. Set aside.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain well and let cool for 1 minute. Add to zucchini spinach mixture and gently toss.
- Add 2-3 TBSP of the pesto sauce and gently toss until well coated.
- Serve with remaining pesto and shredded Parmesan cheese.